Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:27:06 +0300

> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:09:37 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> > OK, then we could put this line
> >
> >   test "$MSYSTEM" = "MINGW32" && srcdir=`(cd "$srcdir"; pwd -W)`
> >
> > immediately below the 'esac' in the fragment I've shown.  Does that do
> > the job for you?
>
> I've tried it but the bootstrap fails.  I'm attaching the output of
> the corresponding "make bootstrap" .

I don't understand where did the
C:/msys/home/d.moncayo.melgar/emacs/emacs.git/ directory come from?
Does directory by such name indeed exist on your disk, and Windows
(not MSYS) can find it?  Did you try this from a directory different
from where you made your previous trials?

If the directory exists, I don't understand the reason for these
failures:

  /bin/makeinfo --force --enable-encoding -I
C:/msys/home/d.moncayo.melgar/emacs/emacs.git/doc/lispref/../emacs -I
C:/msys/home/d.moncayo.melgar/emacs/emacs.git/doc/lispref --no-split -o
C:/msys/home/d.moncayo.melgar/emacs/emacs.git/doc/lispref/../../info/elisp.info
C:/msys/home/d.moncayo.melgar/emacs/emacs.git/doc/lispref/elisp.texi
  C:/msys/home/d.moncayo.melgar/emacs/emacs.git/doc/lispref/elisp.texi:58:
@include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.

Is this some problem with the MSYS port of makeinfo, perhaps?

> But the general principle is that, it is conceptually wrong to do
> conversions of pathnames from MSYS format to native windows format
> based on pattern substitution, assuming that the MSYS paths will
> always be either in "/X/whatever" format or in "X:/whatever" format.

If the change in configure.ac works, we will be able to remove almost
all of that stuff in top-level Makefile.

> Therefore, whenever we need to convert pathnames from any
> MSYS-compliant format to the windows-native counterpart, the only
> reliable way is using the "pwd -W" feature.

That's what my suggestion tries to do, but in a single place.

> > In any case, the problem with src/.gdbinit in the build tree still
> > needs to be solved; no amount of changes in the Makefile's can do
> > that, because that file is created by config.status.  So we still need
> > something in configure.ac as well.
>
> FWIW, with the last change you suggested, the file "src/.gdbinit" in
> the build tree now contains this:
>    source C:/msys/home/d.moncayo.melgar/emacs/emacs.git/src/.gdbinit

Is this the correct file name, or isn't it?