Re: Rectangular regions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Rectangular regions
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 10:01:45 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 21:50:25 -0400
> Cc: Bastien <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> We'll need to take a closer look at the various uses of the region
> and see what primitives would be useful.

Indeed.  I'm not sure we fully understand the pertinent use cases of
yanking such regions into various contexts, let alone other operations
on region.  I would like to believe that counting words is not the
most important one of them.

> > An interval list would allow us to select a "rectangle" in bidi
> > buffers, the underlying character-range chunks of which would actually
> > be arbitrary and non-contiguous.
>
> I'm in no hurry to go down that path.  Lots of potholes on the way, and
> from where I stand, there doesn't seem to be much gold at the end of
> that road.

Agreed.  Not before we are confident we have the rectangular region
features right in the unidirectional case.