Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:20:31 +0100

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

> When I am editing this message in message-mode, a message-mode specific
> toolbar is shown (See attached screenshot).
>
> But when I am editing an Org-mode buffer, I get a bare minimal toolbar.

Are you aware that outorg.el works with message-mode too, so you can
edit your emails in full Org-mode just by doing M-# M-# in the
message-mode buffer and then M-# in the outorg-edit buffer when you are
done?

> It would be wonderful if we have mode-specific window configuration.  (I
> am not a multi-window or multi-frame user.)
>
> Here:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-12/pngDhKMlKY65v.png
>
> one can see the Navigator pane on the left and Stylist pane on the
> right.  If one could pre-configure such windows for the existing users,
> one can easily traverse the document or "apply" quote, example, src
> styles to a block of text by simply highlighting a region and a clicking
> on a style.
>
> (I see navigator pane as a "docked" speedbar.)
>
> Speaking of which, docking of speedbar and multiple speedbar are other
> features that could be useful to have.

Recently the project 'org-writers-room' was announced on the Org-mode
mailing list -it aims to offer just that, a kind of IDE for writers with
(fixed) mode-specific window configuration, navigator, etc. (see
[[gnus:nntp%2Bnews.gmane.org:address@hidden
from Matt Price: org-writers-room sort of works]] ... I hope that link
works). Maybe a starting point?

--
cheers,
Thorsten