Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:23:04 +0530

My 0 cents.

An expert user may have different requirements or may look at atypical
source files.  But he cannot count himself in for this survey.

`show-paren-mode' is topping the list.  That it's behaviour "suffices"
is what matters.  Whether there is an alternate behaviour that is
"superior" shouldn't matter much.

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> 2. Others have countered that an advantage of `blink-matching-paren'
>    over `show-paren-mode' is that tells you where the other end is,
>    when it is off-window.  I agree: `blink-matching-paren' should
>    remain on (non-nil) by default.

> 3. No one (maybe you?) has spoken in favor of the jump-and-blink
>    behavior of `blink-matching-paren'.  Some have called it annoying.
>    But turning on `show-paren-mode' nullifies this behavior, AFAICT.

It is easy to tell when the other end is out of view.  In that case, I
can scroll so that both ends are within the screen.

Otherwise, I just use C-M-n and C-M-p. I don't need blinking. It works
for me.