RE: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 22:05:03 -0800 (PST)

> `show-paren-mode' is topping the list.

Good.

> That it's behaviour "suffices" is what matters.  Whether there is
> an alternate behaviour that is "superior" shouldn't matter much.

Check whether you don't have both turned on.  `blink-matching-paren'
is ON by default.  If you then turn on `show-paren-mode' then you are
seeing the same behavior I suggested.  If you want to see `s-p-m'
without `b-m-p', then turn off `b-m-p'.

> > 2. Others have countered that an advantage of `blink-matching-paren'
> >    over `show-paren-mode' is that tells you where the other end is,
> >    when it is off-window.  I agree: `blink-matching-paren' should
> >    remain on (non-nil) by default.
>
> > 3. No one (maybe you?) has spoken in favor of the jump-and-blink
> >    behavior of `blink-matching-paren'.  Some have called it annoying.
> >    But turning on `show-paren-mode' nullifies this behavior, AFAICT.
>
> It is easy to tell when the other end is out of view.  In that case, I
> can scroll so that both ends are within the screen.
> Otherwise, I just use C-M-n and C-M-p.

Did you try the different possibilities?  (2 values each * 2 "modes")

You are clearly missing the point, here.

What `blink-matching-paren' does is not just tell you THAT the other
end is out of view.  It shows you the code that your right paren
matches.

I suspect that you are seeing that message anyway (since `b-m-p' is
on by default).  Try turning off `b-m-p' and you will see no such
indication of what matches.  Not as helpful.

> I don't need blinking. It works for me.

Please reread what I wrote.  I don't need blinking either.  And with
what I suggested there is no blinking.