Re: Apologia for bzr

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Apologia for bzr
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 11:56:51 -0600

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:
>There are other things we need to do to let sunlight and fresh air into the
>room.  The people who think of Emacs as a relic of bygone decades inhabited
>by graying neckbeards are not, alas, entirely wrong.  And I say that as
>arguably one of the neckbeards myself...

Right now, two of the biggest sources of hacking energy in the
Emacsosphere are in git repositories separate from Emacs' own bzr
repository: Org Mode and Gnus.  Our switching to git will help reduce at
least the degree of separation.

Whether those projects eventually host their "socially agreed on"
primary development branches in Emacs' repository is another question; I
don't know those dev communities well enough to say, despite being a
heavy user of both packages :-).  But the mere fact that I instinctively
consider them to be somewhat separate developer communities from Emacs
itself may be partly an artifact of our having been on bzr for so long.

-K