Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 22:18:20 +0100

David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:

> Just had a weird idea, though after searching looks like I mightn't
> have been the only one in history to have it [1]:
>
> Have you ever tried jgit [2] on windows i.e. that pure java
> reimplementation of git?  It was mostly developed by and for use with
> Eclipse (ugh), but actually has its own little standalone command line
> interface. Not as featureful as real git, but pretty self-contained,
> it looks like it might have just about enough for a reasonable dev
> workflow on its own [3].
>
> This is not a recommendation, I've never used the thing, might be a
> dead end, but OTOH might be worth a look.
>
> [1]
> http://sandeep.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/using-git-on-windows-without-any-of-the-cygwinmsysgit-nonsense/
>
> [2] http://www.eclipse.org/jgit/
> [3] http://wiki.eclipse.org/JGit/User_Guide#Running_the_JGit_CLI

First of all, I object against the FUD on the blog post [1]. For all
practical effects, there is nothing *nixy about Git on Windows (as
implemented by MSYSGit) You can use git.exe from a Windows command
prompt and you are not required to use the *nixy tools that comes with
the MSYSGit package.

Second, there are some great Emacs front-ends for git you can use on
Windows (Magit) and Emacs own VC works fine. Even if that java tool is
compatible with git's command-line options required by Emacs (something
I doubt) using it from Emacs would be damn slow, unless it supports some
type of server functionality where a single instance serves multiple
requests.