Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 21:22:35 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> be) identical, then manually entering the same information in two
>> different places is unnecessarily complex and error-prone, so generating
>
> If you enter it twice, you're not using your tool right.  Emacs can
> extract the commit message from the ChangeLog file right before you
> commit, so you don't have to enter it twice.

That's exactly what I said in the next line of that sentence which you
didn't quote.  I purposefully avoided the contentious issue of saying
which direction I might prefer.

> The main issues were (and are) the following:
> - How to edit past commit messages when they're
> incorrect/incomplete/...?

Git notes still seems like a good solution.

> - How to do C-x 4 a when there's no ChangeLog file?

You don't need to.  I'm usually writing the commit messages as I stage
the diffs for the upcoming commit.  I also frequently rewrite commits
before pushing them upstream.  Extracting that information from a
ChangeLog to build the commit message is completely backwards with that
kind of workflow and easily leads to typical errors like documenting
changes that aren't actually committed or implemented differently or
additional undocumented changes that might or might not be intended to
be part of the commit.

Regards,
Achim.