Re: enable MELPA & Marmalade by defaul [was: mykie.el]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: enable MELPA & Marmalade by defaul [was: mykie.el]
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:53:04 -0500

    So?  GNU Emacs is not responsible for whatever it might be that
    those repos have or do.

We are not looking for excuses to be irresponsible, so we will
maintain control over what code GNU Emacs recommends to users.  We
will therefore not recommend repositories that are maintained outside
of the GNU Project.

Mentioning a repository constitutes recommending it.

    When you buy a Samsung TV and it comes enabled for use by Netflix
    (provided you subscribe), does that make Samsung responsible for
    something that Netflix might offer?

This example is cogent, because the Netflix app is nonfree software:
immoral and unjust.  Even nastier, it implements DRM.  To distribute
that is wrong, and even recommending it is wrong.

How can we make sure we don't recommend an Emacs library to run
Netflix (perhaps by fork and exec)?  By maintaining control over
what we recommend.

There are various reasons we might not want to recommend something,
so we will make we sure remain in a position to decide.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation