Re: enable MELPA & Marmalade by defaul [was: mykie.el]

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: enable MELPA & Marmalade by defaul [was: mykie.el]
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 08:55:19 +0100

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

>> I said earlier in this thread that I thought recommending a package
>> archive other than ELPA was a very bad idea. The licence issue is
>> just one reason.
>
> Currently, if multiple package archives offer the same packages, then
> the archive offering the highest version number wins (which is always
> MELPA, based on how they construct their version numbers).

Is that true?  I have MELPA enabled, and for packages that appear both
in GNU ELPA and MELPA, I get for example

  diff-hl            1.5.1        available  gnu        Highlight uncommitted
changes
  diff-hl            20131114.53  available  melpa      Highlight uncommitted
changes

so that I can decide to either use the stable release or the bleeding
edge version.

Bye,
Tassilo