Re: Git transition checklist

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Git transition checklist
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 11:26:03 -0500

Stephen Berman <address@hidden>:
> > Nobody else explicitly suggested any additional preconditions.
>
> I suggested one
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-01/msg00594.html):
>
>    On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 15:57:05 +0100 Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>    > Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:
>    >
>    >> Why is the git repository so much larger than the bzr repository?
>    >
>    > The git repositories on savannah appear to be packed rather badly.  A
>    > reasonably well packed emacs repository should have around 350MB.
>
>    Ok.  If the packing can be improved, I think it would be good for that
>    to happen before finalizing the move to git.

I have added this to the list.  But:

1. Given the restrictions Savannah has on shell access to repository
   directories, I'm not sure it's possible at all. I have not been able
   to find any way to force a repack remotely.

2. Really this could be done at any time relative to the switchover.
   If Andreas can figure out a way to do it, "immediately" would be
   the best time.