Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 17:59:34 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 05:36:40 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The Emacs display engine is many tens of thousands of C code plus many
> > thousands of Lisp.
>
> AFAIU this is largely a consequence of the development baggage of Emacs.
> That is, the complexity of the current code base is far greater than the
> complexity of its purpose.

For this argument to be taken seriously, you'd have to point to
concrete chunks of code or design traits that constitute this
"baggage", and perhaps propose an alternative design that would be
free of that.

(I happen to disagree with your assessment, if it isn't clear.)

In any case, this has nothing to do with the issue at hand.  Even if
the entire effort invested in the rewrite of the display engine was a
waste, the point is that it could be, and have been, done.