Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 19:16:41 +0200

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

>> Writing a C++ parser and semantic analyzer from scratch requires several
>> man-years of work for world-class compiler writers.
>
> You don't need a full parser. For providing completions, it is
> sufficient to parse only a small subset of the code (declarations, most
> importantly).

You may not have to parse every line of code, but you should be able to, no?

Otherwise, how would you know which type the variable at point has, or
the return type of the method it calls, etc? I believe you should have
to parse at least the body of the current function, from the beginning
to the current line (maybe farther).