Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 01:04:08 +0200

On 26.01.2014 12:15, Jorgen Schaefer wrote:
The "first" one. ;-) Basically, what you get when you hit RET in
Company, without typing anything. The delay for this can be a lot
shorter, up to "almost instantaneous", than the delay for popping up the
completion pop-up.

I don't really see how that's useful: you can indeed type RET and get the same result.

The delay is non-zero by default not only so that the user is not constantly interrupted by the popup, but also because the candidates retrieval is not instantaneous (and usually blocks Emacs), and to retrieve the "first" candidate we'll have to retrieve all candidates anyway.

On the subject of interruptions, personally I'd be almost as annoyed by the inline hint overlay appearing too quickly, as by the full popup doing the same.

(Come to think of it, isn't there a way of sorting completion
results? It's one of the things I want to get auto-complete to do,
because completions from Python backends are most of the time of higher
quality than, say, dabbrev completions.)

In Company, completions from merged backends are sorted automatically (see `company--multi-backend-adapter', it returns nil for `sorted'). But you could write a similar merging adapter that would only sort indivitual candidate lists returned from given backends, and then simply concatenate them.

I did not look much closer. The solution you provided is more or less
what auto-complete does with its init call and caching, which would
likely work slightly better than auto-complete because I have more
control over it, but well, a-c already has it implemented. Hence, I was
quite satisfied - it solves my problem, and I can not and do not expect
any more from you, you were very helpful already - but it's not what I
was hoping for.

Well, as long as you're satisfied with the current situation, it's fine, I guess.

I want to look at Company again at some point in the future and see if
I can make a list of things I miss and maybe start working on them, but
at the moment I'm very low on time, so I pushed that down my list quite
a bit I'm afraid.

Ok.