Re: SQLite interface

From: joakim
Subject: Re: SQLite interface
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 11:26:08 +0100

Florian Weimer <address@hidden> writes:

> Would a patch that exposes the SQLite C API at the Lisp level be
> acceptable for inclusion in Emacs, or is this not a good idea because
> SQLite is public domain software outside of the GNU project?
>
> I would like to use SQLite to speed up updating the overview files in
> the nnml backend for Gnus.  I have some folders where these files are
> several hundred megabytes large, and they are rewritten from scratch
> each time new mail is received.  So far, I've thrown hardware at the
> problem, but that's becoming less and less cost-effective.

Another aproach is to work with a FFI interface in Emacs to expose
libraries such as sqlite.

There are however various opinions on FFI interfaces for emacs.

My personal opinion is that GObject introspection is a nice aproach for
Emacs to gain FFI abilities.

I have a preliminary patch for GObject introspection support in the
Emacs Xwidget branch.

There is a Gobject wrapper for sqlite https://code.google.com/p/sqlheavy/

If you are interested in exploring this avenue, I will be happy to assist.

--
Joakim Verona