Re: SQLite interface

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: SQLite interface
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:26:51 -0400

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 11:08:15 +0100 Florian Weimer <address@hidden> wrote:

FW> Would a patch that exposes the SQLite C API at the Lisp level be
FW> acceptable for inclusion in Emacs, or is this not a good idea because
FW> SQLite is public domain software outside of the GNU project?

FW> I would like to use SQLite to speed up updating the overview files in
FW> the nnml backend for Gnus.  I have some folders where these files are
FW> several hundred megabytes large, and they are rewritten from scratch
FW> each time new mail is received.  So far, I've thrown hardware at the
FW> problem, but that's becoming less and less cost-effective.

Given that any possible FFI interface is after the freeze and probably
will take months to get into a released Emacs, can you consider writing
this with a shell backend for now and use the C API opportunistically?
I don't know the details about SQLite's accessibility, but I believe it
can do at least some useful things non-interactively over STDOUT/STDIN.

Ted