Re: Not a regression, but shuld go into emacs-24

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Not a regression, but shuld go into emacs-24
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 09:47:36 +0200

martin rudalics skrev 2014-06-03 09:23:
 >> IIUC in XmCR_DRAG we set PORTION to 'cs->value',
 >
 > XmCR_DRAG is jump in Motif speak.

So is "dragging the slider" equivalent to 'jump' in Emacs speak?  Then I
misunderstood the nomenclature completely.  I always thought a 'jump' is
what happens when I click some position above or below the slider.

It is equivalent in Motif and Gtk+ speak, i.e. the callback can't distinguish between the two. Dragging and jumping are handeled the same.

 >> and in xaw_scroll_callback we explicitly
 >> pass 'position' as PORTION argument.
 >
 > Because that callback does not distinguish between the different
scroll modes.

What is a "scroll mode"?  Something like "page increment" or "jump
scroll"?

Yes, page increment/decrement, and step increment/decrement are modes.
As is drag and jump.

 >>> The values of PORTION in x_send_scroll_bar_event and
 >>> x_set_toolkit_scroll_bar_thumb are different.  The first has values as
 >>> defined by the scroll bar.  For Gtk+, Motif and Xaw this is a value
 >>> between 0 or 1 and 10000000.
 >>
 >> Yes (in my experience Gtk+ can handle WHOLE directly as is).
 >
 > This looks ugly when WHOLE changes.  The Gtk+ scroll bar does not
redraw nicely.

In what sense?  Does it flicker?

I haven't tried lately, but Gtk+ 2 flickered a lot when its maximum value changed. For example typing at the bottom of a buffer would change the value for every key press.

        Jan D.