Re: Why not zlib-compress-region?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why not zlib-compress-region?
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:28:05 -0400

>> Exactly: what is required is "anyone working on it".
> Christopher Wellons had made some progress:
> http://nullprogram.com/blog/2014/04/26/

I didn't know this one.
Of course, there's Dave Love's
http://www.loveshack.ukfsn.org/emacs/dynamic-loading/

I think Dave's work is a good starting point.  It needs a GPL-check
(i.e. it needs to check the dyn-loaded code to see if it has a special
symbol stating that it's gpl-compatible), and it needs to be updated for
current Emacs code, but it should only touch code that hasn't
fundamentally changed very much (famous last word).

        Stefan