RE: Why was `transient-mark-mode' turned off for `delete-selection-mode'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Why was `transient-mark-mode' turned off for `delete-selection-mode'?
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 14:15:43 -0700 (PDT)

> > Why should `delete-selection-mode' no longer enable
> > transient-mark-mode'?
>
> The question is the reverse: why should delete-selection-mode enable
> transient-mark-mode?

Why is that the question, for a proposed change to Emacs?
Why not justify the change with a good reason?  Is there none?
You are the first to say that it is not the status quo, but a
proposed change, that needs justifying. (Unless it is your change?)

Anyway, to follow your diversion:  Why should it enable d-s mode,
do you suppose?  Why do you suppose it always has?  Why do you
suppose we designed it to do that?

Why do you suppose that that is also the behavior *everywhere*
outside Emacs?  Highlight what's selected, so you can see what
you are deleting or replacing.  Sounds like a good idea, to me.
Not to mention that it is what everyone expects.  What's wrong
with it?

Again:

 Delete selection mode has always been about providing similar
 delete/replace-the-selection behavior to what is prevalent outside
 Emacs. Why would we now divorce this behavior from highlighting of
 the selection?

So how about answering the question, please: Why this change?

Have we had reports from users asking for it?  Do you see some
advantage to it?  (That's an open question; please don't just
answer yes.)  Tell us the advantages and disadvantages, as you
see them.