Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 18:50:25 +0200

>> And why is it not in Emacs?
> The current maintainer is Jonas Bernoulli (Cc)

Thanks for inviting me to the conversation.

Short answer: I agree that it would be desirable for Magit to be part of
Emacs or (less so) GNU Elpa. But I would like to delay this conversation
until after Magit 2.1.0 and Emacs 24.4 have been released, and the Emacs
repository has been migrated to Git.

Longer answer: I am to busy to tackle this now.  Also I don't think that
Magit should be added to Emacs asap, as a whole, and in its current form.

I have read the remarks about packages not having to be done before
being added to Elpa.  But currently not even a releasable version of
Magit exists.  The stable branch contains many known defects and the
development branch only very recently got to a point where a release
became imaginable.  But there are some serious bugs, and the
documentation for the numerous new and improved features is
non-existent).

Instead of adding Magit as is, I would rather add certain components of
Magit to Emacs itself (after sufficiently abstracting them) and move
certain functionality into libraries that are already part of Emacs.

Once Magit has been released I am also going write some new libraries to
be used by Magit but also VC and other packages, such as `git-handler'
(file handler for Git blobs and trees), `kit' (wrappers around Git
commands commonly used in Emacs packages), and `libgit' (the same thing
but using the yet-to-be-created ffi).  But right now I am busy getting
the development branch ready so that more than a dozen brave souls can
benefit from the work I have done this year.

  Best regards,
  Jonas