Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 10:47:24 -0500

> Rollback is a case in point.  It is a command that lets you undo the
> last checkin.  Only SCCS and RCS actually support it.  Git possibly
> could, in theory, but the Git implementation would be tricky and have
> sharp edges when the last revision had been pushed.

Actually, I think most VCS can support it one way or another.

> might be using it on some remnant RCS repo (I think we can safely
> consider SCCS dead to us at this point).  And the broader question is

We've had some bug reports about vc-sccs.el in the
not-completely-distant past, so there might still be such people
out there.

But contrary to what the above two statements might lead you to think,
I'm in favor of removing this rollback, because I don't think it's good
enough as it stands.  E.g. I think it should be replaced by an
`uncommit' which would be the opposite of `commit' and should ideally
preserve as much info as possible (e.g. not change the file's contents,
and stash the commit message somewhere so it can be re-used if you
decide to recommit).

        Stefan