vc-region-authors (or some such)

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: vc-region-authors (or some such)
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 10:06:24 +0100

Hello Stefan,

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Using vc-git in this way is hampered by vc-git not tracking history
>> across renames.
>
> Indeed, vc-git.el should use --follow when possible.
>
> BTW, while implementing vc-region-history (which only works with vc-git
> so far and for the foreseeable future) I noticed that Git does not
> support --follow for the -L%d,%d:%s case, even though that only applies
> to a single file.

Talking of `vc-region-history' reminded me of a feature I find powerful,
would it be easily available: "showing blame information about original
authors of lines changed or removed in a given branch".

  ┌────
  │ "This is useful when opening pull requests per GitHub Flow; you'll want
  │ your pull request reviewed by colleagues but you might not be sure who
  │ to ping. With git-overwritten you'll get the names of people who wrote
  │ the lines you just changed, so you'll know who to @-mention when opening
  │ a pull request."
  │
  │ -- http://mislav.uniqpath.com/2014/02/hidden-documentation/, "Bonus script"
  └────

Maybe it'd be worth to think about that as well while implementing
`vc-region-history'. It seems to be its twin, no?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban