Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 07:46:45 -0500

  > I've left out the preamble of the manual that defines the title, among
  > other things.  In general I'd thing Org would need to have a derived
  > export backend for the kind of manuals you are thingkning about that
  > took care about these things.

Documentation of how to write such things in Org format
is part of what is needed for Org format to be a candidate
for a GNU documentation format.

  > > Is there a way to distinguish between emphasis and definitional
  > > occurrences and variable values?  In Texinfo, @emph and @dfn and @var.
  > > They all appear as italic in printed manuals, but may be different
  > > in other output formats.

  > See, that's one thing no "unobtrusive" or "visual" markup can provide.

I do see that it is not straightforward -- but this feature is
something we need.

  > For Org, it seems that macros would be the way to go unless we'd come up
  > with yet another mechanism for semantic markup.

What would this look like?

A solution that occurs to me is to use character pair brackets, such
as _*foo*_ and _#foo#_ and *#foo#*.  These would provide enough
alternatives to make the necessary distinctions.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation