Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 22:30:41 -0500

  > So in essence you're saying that the requirement is semantic markup, but
  > you don't care about the syntax.

This is an interesting question.

In the past, semantic markup was absolutely necessary.  For instance,
@dfn and @emph both generate italic in TeX, but they appear different
in Info.  This was because Info files don't have fonts.  Distinctions need
to be made some other way.

I have been assuming this is still necessary, but maybe it is not.
If HTML-Info can represent these distinctions with fonts, the same
as in TeX, maybe we don't need semantic markup any more.  Maybe
the same appearance can be used in all formats on line and on paper.

But how would we represent them on a tty?  They have colors but no fonts.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation