Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 18:55:05 +0100

Richard Stallman writes:
> If you send me a list of the current simple markup characters,
> I could make some proposals.

The simple markup is *bold*, =verbatim=, ~code~, /italic/
+strike-through+ and _underline_.  The actual rules are a bit more
complicated since some of that is costumizable for historical reasons.

The last section in the Org syntax document says this:

Text Markup

Text markup follows the pattern:

PRE MARKER CONTENTS MARKER POST

PRE is a whitespace character, (, { ~’~ or a double quote. It can also be a
beginning of line.

MARKER is a character among * (bold), = (verbatim), / (italic), +
(strike-through), _ (underline), ~ (code).

CONTENTS is a string following the pattern:

BORDER BODY BORDER

BORDER can be any non-whitespace character excepted ~,~, ~’~ or a double quote.

BODY can contain contain any character but may not span over more than 3 lines.

BORDER and BODY are not separated by whitespaces.

CONTENTS can contain any object encountered in a paragraph when markup is
“bold”, “italic”, “strike-through” or “underline”.

POST is a whitespace character, -, ., ~,~, :, !, ?, ~’~, ), } or a double
quote. It can also be an end of line.

PRE, MARKER, CONTENTS, MARKER and POST are not separated by whitespace
characters.

    All of this is wrong if org-emphasis-regexp-components or
org-emphasis-alist are modified.

    This should really be simplified and made persistent (i.e. no defcustom
allowed). Otherwise, portability and parsing are jokes.

    Also, CONTENTS should be anything within code and verbatim emphasis, by
definition. — ngz

> I agree that we should not go overboard on this.  It might be good for
> 10 common constructs to have character pairs to designate them, while
> using Texinfo-like format with braces for the rest of the constructs.

I imagine that to look a lot like digraphs and trigraphs...

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: