Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 19:40:16 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:06:34 +0100
>
> 1. the author of the change shall convey the information on the
>    documentation.
>
> 2. checking the resulting document in terms of appearance criteria can
>    be done by another individual.
>
> 3. checking the resulting document in terms of clarity, completeness,
>    style, etc. *must* be done by someone who is not the author.
>
> For you as the author, it is a good thing to do 1 ASAP. If the
> documentation tool allows you to do the job without "building the docs"
> to check that you didn't break the build, etc., you stop caring about
> the speed of that process.

As I wrote elsewhere, I don't see how a tool can do that without
performing most of the job done by makeinfo.  Without that, invalid
cross-references and node prev/next/up pointers might be left
incorrect.  And don't forget pointers to other manuals,

> But we can delay 2 and 3 until a late stage of the development cycle.

This means the development version is incomplete for most of the
time.  Yes, we have this now, but I hope to change that.  Since many
distributions provide snapshots of Emacs, we should strive to have our
docs in good shape at all times.

I also have hard time to imagine we will find volunteers for 2: it's a
mundane, boring job that no one is motivated to do except the author.