Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:17:06 +0100

    > I have watched several of the recent threads regarding changing the
    > documentation tool chain for no reason whatsoever from the sideline.
    > And I really can't understand what's going on.

    There have been a couple reasons listed.
    First, to increase the web presence.  To be honest, I don't know what
    this has to do with texinfo at all.  (Maybe I missed something.)
    Second, because texinfo version 5 is slow.

    This second problem seems to be the only real issue, and it seems that
    we should try to fix it.  Richard put some pressure on the bzr
    developers when we were using that; perhaps he should put some pressure
    on the texinfo developers.  (I think that Stefan and Eli have already
    brought it up to the texinfo developers.)

I peeked at the texinfo svn repo and it looks like the texinfo
developers are actively working on a C parser that would replace the
current perl-based parser...

From
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/trunk/parsetexi/README?revision=5957&root=texinfo&view=markup:

"This is an experimental program intended to replicate the functionality
 in tp/Texinfo/Parser.pm.  How it will be integrated into makeinfo is
 still unknown.

 makeinfo in this directory wraps texi2any-C.pl, which is tp/texi2any.pl
 changed to use the module in the Parsetexi subdirectory instead of
 Texinfo::Parser."