Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 22:32:04 +0100

Jay Belanger <address@hidden> writes:

>> The git translation was a good thing.
>
> Yes, which is why people on the devel list had been asking to move away
> from bzr for a while.  Even then, it took many pleas to the bzr
> developers and for bzr to basically become defunct before we made the
> switch to git.
>
> The situation with texinfo is not similar.  While there have been
> complaints about texinfo 5 being slow, I don't recall many (if any)
> people asking to move away from texinfo, there has been movement in
> texinfo to speed things up, and as far as I know texinfo isn't in danger
> of becoming unmaintained.  It was very shocking and disappointing to
> read that Richard had agreed to change formats to asciidoc.

Personally, I imagine that the agreement was, at least from one side,
intended to be about the assorted quasi-documentation text files in
.../etc, namely data-directory rather than the Info tree.  But that's
complete speculation on my part and there would have been plenty of
opportunity clearing this up had it been the case.

But at least that would have made some more sense to me as a test
balloon than aiming at all the Texinfo manuals in one fell swoop.

--
David Kastrup