Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:05:53 +0000 (UTC)

Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen <at> xemacs.org> writes:

> So what you get with a web-friendly manual is accessibility (though
> somewhat degraded) for those who *don't* have the manuals installed
> locally.

Regarding accessibility the current HTML manuals could also be
made more accessible (i.e. work like info). It just involves adding
some JS code to the HTML.

As a test I took the current emacs HTML manual (for simplicity I used
the everything on a single page version, so you may have to wait
for it load completely) and added a simple goto feature to it,
like the one in info.

You can press 'g' and a dialog pops up, you type something, the
nodename completions appear and you can press enter to jump
to the desired node. You can cancel the dialog with esc, pop
it up again by pressing 'g' again, etc. So it works like an
interactive local application.

Here it is:

http://emacstest.byethost12.com/goto.html