Re: extracting commits from Elpa to original repo

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: extracting commits from Elpa to original repo
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:41:11 +0800

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I also used the "subtree split" command to create a separate branch
>> within Elpa containing only the commits made on "packages/gnorb".
>>
>> I'd like to get Stefan's patch into my general Gnorb repo, in such a way
>> that it doesn't create any conflicts or confusion the next time I pull
>> into Elpa. I created a patch for his commit, but it doesn't apply
>> cleanly to my other repo, and I suspect that fixing it up so that it
>> does will simply defer the mess.
>
> Why doesn't it? But anyway, you should fix it up and push, and then
> solve any conflicts that might arise in the next merge.

Because his patch was from a month ago, and many things have changed
since then. Maybe a regular merge and push would end up okay. I just
don't have that much confidence in my command of git.

> The 'git subtree push' workflow described in the article you've linked
> to can work too, in certain cases, but IIUC it only works well if the
> separate repo was originally made from a split (otherwise you risk
> pushing the whole elpa history into the external repo).

Which I nearly did yesterday! This seems like more work than it's worth
-- I'll look into de-subtree-ing this package.

Thanks,
Eric