Re: extracting commits from Elpa to original repo

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: extracting commits from Elpa to original repo
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 07:43:19 -0500

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 13:20:46 +0800 Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:

EA> I'd like to get Stefan's patch into my general Gnorb repo, in such a way
EA> that it doesn't create any conflicts or confusion the next time I pull
EA> into Elpa. I created a patch for his commit, but it doesn't apply
EA> cleanly to my other repo, and I suspect that fixing it up so that it
EA> does will simply defer the mess. I'll admit I've reached the limit of my
EA> git abilities.

EA> Can anyone provide some advice on what to do in this situation? Besides
EA> "develop your next package directly in the Elpa tree"?

So you basically want Stefan's patch to end up on your side with the
same commit ID, so you can merge back and forth (preserving a 1-to-1
relationship between the two sides). From the `git subtree' docs for the
"split" sub-operation:

        Repeated splits of exactly the same history are
        guaranteed to be identical (i.e. to produce the same
        commit ids).  Because of this, if you add new commits
        and then re-split, the new commits will be attached as
        commits on top of the history you generated last time,
        so 'git merge' and friends will work as expected.

IOW, don't import the commit as a patch, but use `git subtree' to
synchronize.  I hope that helps.

Ted