Re: pipe

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pipe
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 08:45:17 -0400

> My motivation behind that was to avoid temporary files in epg.el, by
> using file descriptors other than 0 and 1 (as you know, gpg has options
> --status-fd, --command-fd, --attribute-fd, etc. for that).  In order to
> do that, I thought that it would be inevitable to change the calling
> convention of start-process.  However, I hesitate to do such an
> intrusive change.  So, here is an alternative approach:

Supporting other file descriptors would be great, yes.  But I agree with
Eli: we need to take into account the w32 API in the design, because it
would significantly reduce the usefulness of such a feature if it only
works under POSIX systems.

This said, I know nothing about w32's API in this regard, so maybe your
suggestion could work.

BTW, what happened with your earlier `make-process' suggestion?

        Stefan