Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 51e7e46: Font-lock elisp macros/special forms d

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 51e7e46: Font-lock elisp macros/special forms dynamically
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 13:31:48 -0400

> using Daniel's suggestion.

I like the "big optimized regexp" better than the "dynamic lookup via
intern-soft" (should make for more efficient font-locking, tho I have no
idea if that really proves faster in practice and even less of an idea
if the difference would be measurable).

Also, that loses the "update existing buffers after macro definition",
so it's far from "clearly better" w.r.t end-user behavior (and the
relative simplicity advantage will probably end up vanishing if we try
to fill those kinds of differences).

But it's largely a question of bikeshed color, so if you all prefer the
intern-soft approach, go for it.

>   (2) adding (declare (no-font-lock-keyword t)) to all function-like
>       macros we have (e.g., push, pushnew)

push and pushnew aren't function-like, so they *should* be highlighted
as keywords, I think.

        Stefan