Re: VC mode and git

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 18:05:19 +0200

On 03/24/2015 05:57 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

I think that C-x v v, when it commits changes, should also push them.
This would make git more comparable to other version control systems.

It really shouldn't.

Does anyone see a reason not to?

First and obvious reason, then there would be no way to commit without pushing. And yes, that's a useful ability.

Second, even if we add a user option, this would be an attempt to paper over the differences between the traditional VCS and the (modern) DVCS.

You really should familiarize yourself with that difference. All popular modern VCS are distributed (and thus have commit and push as different actions).