Re: VC mode and git

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:56:09 +0100

> I don't understand what you mean here by "shows the diffs for the
> commits in the commit list" and "shown inline".

The buffer shows a list of commits, one per each line, pressing enter of
a commit expands it, and shows the metadata of the commit.

Saying it shows the diff was wrong.  Also, I found out now how to close
it: just press RET again.  To display the diff, vc-dir, uses the same
command as magit, ie. 'd' (which opens the diff in a different buffer
that can be exited with 'q', which is the same behaviour as magit).

> PS: Your comparison is much less critical of vc-dir than I'd have
>     expected.  Personally I find that vc-dir is still pretty far from
>     what PCL-CVS offered ten years ago, so while I use do it, I find it
>     borderline unusable.

Well, I didn't try to actually *use* it... I just did a drive-by
evaluation by starting it on a repository, and just trying magit
commands blindly.  (Also, I tried to be nice...)

The most immediately annoying feature of vc-dir, was that it didn't
group the files into unstaged and staged, because that's a very
important distinction when manually resolving merge conflicts.