Re: VC mode and git

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 17:33:14 +0200

On 03/25/2015 05:36 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Then perhaps after a commit "C-x v v" should do a "git show", and
allow to push from the buffer that displays HEAD?

Showing the last commit is not enough; the push command should account for all unpushed commits. Showing the messages of each, as well as diffstats (the lists of midified files) would be enough, I think. But an ability to quickly jump to each diff would be also valuable.

Magit deals with that by displaying a list of all local commits (just the summary lines) not yet pushed to the remove in a separate section in the magit-status buffer. Which is not bad, but we might prefer to show the full messages (and in a different buffer), to encourage the user to double-check for typos, etc, for the automated ChangeLog files.