Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 19:32:08 +0200

> From: Steinar Bang <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:52:08 +0100
>
> > A related question is: does "C-x v v" at all make sense with Git and
> > other dVCSes?
>
> Yes, it does.
>
> I use it on single file changes.  Related changes over multiple files, I
> do from magit.

There are almost no single-file changes in Emacs: documentation and
NEWS need to be updated as well, to say nothing of ChangeLog.

And I see no reason why "C-x v v" should be limited to such a small
and insignificant minority of use cases as single-file changes.

> > If it does, what would be the DWIM cycle there?
>
> Make a local commit, pointing to the previous commit of the current
> branch and move the HEAD to this commit, and stop there.

That stops short of being useful, because omitting "push" altogether
makes the workflow deficient, at least when you work on a public
project.

Also, what you propose means "C-x v v" with Git is just an alias for a
single command, which is not what "C-x v v" was supposed to do.

> > E.g., would it make sense for "C-x v v" to push when the previous
> > action was commit and there are not uncommitted changes?
>
> No.

Great argumentation, thanks.