Re: VC mode and git

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 13:54:12 -0400

> I think that C-x v v, when it commits changes, should also push them.

If this change were made, many git users would accidentally push commits
that they hadn't intended to push.  Git users have a strong expectation
that "committing" means only "to save locally in my private repo".

It is common practice for Git users to make commits locally and then to
post those commits to a mailing list for review before pushing.  It is
also common to create several commits locally before they are fully
tested, before pushing.

To make matters worse, pushing to a public repo is usually an
irreversible operation.  Often the best that can be done is to "revert"
it, which means to add another commit that reverses the changes made in
the first commit.  Both remain in the commit log forever, which is a
permanent embarrassment for whomever made the erroneous push.

If your proposal were accepted, and it caused me to accidentally push a
commit to a public repo, I would be _very_ angry at the Emacs developers
for doing such a thing.  I would lose trust in Emacs.

      Mark