Re: UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: UI inconveniences with M-.
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 09:59:47 +0200

On Sat, May 02 2015, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> - let the backend provide its own sorting function to override the
>   current "group by file" sorting.

The current grouping preserves the order: xrefs are grouped by the
string returned by xref-location-group and both the order of the groups
and the order of xrefs within the group is preserved. See
xref--alistify.

> Basically, I think the focus should be on making sure that we can
> re-implement the old behavior on top of the new API when using the
> xref/etags backend.

Theoretically this can already be done by ignoring xref-location-group
or by specializing xref-location-group for xref-etags-location so that it
returns always the same group.

Thinking about it: for etags it would make sense to group xrefs by name
of the TAGS file because etags--xref-find-definitions doesn't sort xrefs
"globally"; xrefs are reordered only within a TAGS file.

Helmut