Re: Package installation messages

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Package installation messages
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 16:58:31 +0100

On May 20, 2015 4:36 PM, "raman" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Actually it would be sad to see the async package bits go -- it's
> *almost* working. Can we live with silenced messages as at present, and
> a slightly more descriptive message for "transaction ..." rather than
> losing the async goodness?

The messaging stuff is mostly independent of this. The problem is the fact that it's not really async. After the download is done emacs hangs between 0.5 and 5 seconds while the installation is happening. And that happens for each download. So it's essentially not really achieving anything, but it carries the coat of code complexity.

But just to be clear. This is just for package installation. Async refreshing is much smoother and won't be removed (though it's still due for a bit of polishing).