Re: include new package wconf.el in GNU ELPA

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: include new package wconf.el in GNU ELPA
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:37:11 +0200

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> Basically, I'd prefer that when I restore a window config, the point
>> values stay as they are for all the buffers which are part of the
>> current window config and the one I'm switching to.
>
> What is the "point value of a buffer" and where do you see it change?

Say I have just a single window with *scratch* and point at (point-min).
I save that window config to a register.  Now I split windows, and some
of the windows still show *scratch*, but in there I moved point to
(point-max).

What I like to have was that `C-x r j <the-register-with-initial-wconf>`
went back to the single-window displaying *scratch* layout but the last
recent point value would stick to (point-max) instead of going back to
(point-min).

Well, and actually I'd like to have that not only for WCs stored in
registers but also for, e.g., WCs stored by winner, etc.  The problem is
that some things like edebug also use WCs internally, and there
switching back to the original point is absolutely needed.  So I don't
see how to distinguish the cases.  Maybe some whitelist kind of approach
like

  (and (memq last-command '(jump-to-register winner-undo winner-redo))
       (called-interactively-p 'interactive))

could do the trick...

Bye,
Tassilo