progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 09:52:31 -0400

I have a some thoughts related to the project.el project being discussed in the mailing list. When it was first proposed as a set of core functions to generically describe a project, I thought it could be a good idea, since there are a several 'projects' out there, such as EDE, projectile, jdee, and a few others I know less about. It would save some tools the trouble of knowing how to integrate all those possibilities if all they needed was some random piece of project metadata.

project.el and the current discussion seems to revolve almost entirely around search paths and xref. EDE does project management, but has not needed to track search paths the way project.el does. It certainly has ways to find files, and has include paths and such needed by source code, but not generic search paths. I think project.el should be recast as defining search paths for search tools. EDE could then plug itself in to provide some paths if asked. I think calling it a "project" is overstating what project.el does.

In the meantime, attached is a small patch to enable EDE to provide roots to project.el. The new function works for me with 24.3, but I didn't try it in project.el

Perhaps all the work you're doing could just hang off ede since it only takes 2 lines of code, and if it is missing some sort of pruning tricks, it could just be added to ede.

Eric