Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Nix
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 14:07:45 +0100

On 3 Aug 2015, Stephen Leake told this:
> I prefer to cache it in a global variable; that way, I have only one
> project active at a time, for all buffers.

That doesn't work very well for those of us working on multi-component
projects. If I'm working in the Linux kernel I do *not* want identifier
search or file lookup wandering into glibc or Emacs, even though they
share some identifiers (with completely divergent definitions) and even
though I may have quite a lot of buffers open on those projects.

(I have fairly often worked on things that affect glibc, binutils, GCC,
and the kernel all at once. Those are different projects with distinct
roots, identifier sets, and tags tables...)

--
NULL && (void)