Re: master 5022e27: ; Do not overwrite preexisting contents of unread-co

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: master 5022e27: ; Do not overwrite preexisting contents of unread-command-events
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:33:17 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>>> branch: master
>>> commit 5022e27dac4c13651941e425dbec5b3a2cecdae4
>>> Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>>> Commit: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>>>
>>>     ; Do not overwrite preexisting contents of unread-command-events
>>
>> Surely this change deserved to create a ChangeLog entry, rather than
>> being marked with "; " to exclude that.
>
> It's a sort of a janitorial potential bug fix for symptoms nobody
> complained about yet, distributed around dozens of files and disparate
> functions in various parts of Emacs.  I've posted the patch more than a
> week ago on emacs-devel.  No comment.  I put out a reminder yesterday
> that I was going to push this patch.  No comment.
>
> A ChangeLog entry would run over several dozens of lines and take the
> better part of an hour to create since C-x v a does not work with Git.
> I figured that nobody would even notice anyway.
>
> What do you propose I do now?

That question was not rhetorical.  I admit that the leadup may not have
been the best incentive for answering it.  Sorry for that.  What I was
saying was that my own judgment was that the next consistent option
would have been a significant investment of effort that I saw no
compelling justification for, so I shopped for other opinions without
result.

You disagree, but I don't see your take on "next consistent option".
I am not opposed to investing a significant additional amount of time
for meeting a reasonable project objective.  But I don't want to waste
that time based on guesswork that might end wide off the mark.

--
David Kastrup