Re: master 5022e27: ; Do not overwrite preexisting contents of unread-co

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: master 5022e27: ; Do not overwrite preexisting contents of unread-command-events
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 18:08:36 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think what Glenn said, was that the entry should not have started
>> with ";".  That would have generated a sub-optimal ChangeLog entry,
>> but that's better than no ChangeLog entry.
>
> Let me make very clear that I looked at CONTRIBUTE first and finally
> went by
>
> - Start with a single unindented summary line explaining the change;
>   do not end this line with a period.  If that line starts with a
>   semi-colon and a space "; ", the log message will be ignored when
>   generating the ChangeLog file.  Use this for minor commits that do
>   not need separate ChangeLog entries, such as changes in etc/NEWS.
>
> since the only listed alternative was a full GNU-style ChangeLog commit
> message.  Without looking at CONTRIBUTE, I would have written up a
> commit message like I do on other projects, _not_ listing every filename
> and function name (which are listed in the accompanying context diff
> "git log -p" produces).  That would have been little work and would have
> made every bit of information readily accessible that one would want.
>
> I was not sure that the ChengeLog-entry free variant was really the best
> choice.  That's one of the reason I posted the patch for comment on the
> Emacs-devel list.
>
> I'll prepare a ChangeLog entry like Eli described and commit it.
> I really cannot imagine that it will be useful ever to anybody as the
> collection of function names and affected files is a rather random
> assortment (I could not name a single one in spite of creating the
> patch).  So I skipped out on work I could not imagine anyone to want.
> I was wrong on that but in my defense I did solicit for feedback.

Committed.  I should be very much surprised if this will ever prove
useful to anybody.  But at least it should close this discussion.

2015-08-04  David Kastrup  <address@hidden>

        Do not overwrite preexisting contents of unread-command-events
        * lisp/vc/emerge.el (emerge-show-file-name):
        * lisp/progmodes/vhdl-mode.el (vhdl-electric-dash)
        (vhdl-comment-insert, vhdl-hooked-abbrev):
        * lisp/progmodes/octave.el (inferior-octave-dynamic-list-input-ring):
        * lisp/progmodes/fortran.el (fortran-window-create-momentarily):
        * lisp/progmodes/ebrowse.el (ebrowse-hack-electric-buffer-menu):
        * lisp/progmodes/cperl-mode.el (cperl-putback-char):
        * lisp/obsolete/vip.el (vip-escape-to-emacs)
        (vip-prefix-arg-value, vip-prefix-arg-com):
        * lisp/obsolete/terminal.el (te-escape-extended-command-unread):
        * lisp/leim/quail/tibetan.el (quail-tibetan-update-translation)
        (quail-tibkey-update-translation):
        * lisp/leim/quail/lrt.el (quail-lrt-update-translation):
        * lisp/leim/quail/lao.el (quail-lao-update-translation):
        * lisp/leim/quail/japanese.el (quail-japanese-update-translation)
        (quail-japanese-self-insert-and-switch-to-alpha):
        * lisp/leim/quail/hangul.el (hangul2-input-method)
        (hangul3-input-method, hangul390-input-method):
        * lisp/language/hanja-util.el (hangul-to-hanja-char):
        * lisp/international/robin.el (robin-input-method):
        * lisp/international/quail.el (quail-start-translation)
        (quail-start-conversion):
        * lisp/gnus/gnus-art.el (gnus-article-describe-key)
        (gnus-article-describe-key-briefly):
        * lisp/eshell/em-hist.el (eshell-list-history):
        * lisp/term.el (term-dynamic-list-input-ring)
        (term-dynamic-list-completions):
        * lisp/subr.el (momentary-string-display):
        * lisp/simple.el (read-quoted-char):
        * lisp/pcomplete.el (pcomplete-show-completions):
        * lisp/kmacro.el (kmacro-repeat-on-last-key):
        * lisp/info.el (Info-summary):
        * lisp/ehelp.el (electric-help-command-loop):
        * lisp/ebuff-menu.el (electric-buffer-list)
        (Electric-buffer-menu-exit):
        * lisp/double.el (double-translate-key):
        * lisp/comint.el (comint-dynamic-list-input-ring)
        (comint-dynamic-list-completions): Do not overwrite preexisting
        contents of `unread-command-events' when putting new events into
        it.

--
David Kastrup