Re: [Emacs-diffs] master c24a067: message.el: Silent the byte compiler

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master c24a067: message.el: Silent the byte compiler
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:18:58 +0900

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:10:10 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> +(eval-and-compile
>> +  (if (featurep 'emacs)
>> +      (progn
[...]
>> +        (defalias 'message-overlay-get 'overlay-get)

> [ I understand this code was only moved and is not new.  ]

> BTW, the above makes no sense to me: e.g. message-overlay-get is
> never defined to anything else than overlay-get.  So, under Emacs it
> gets defined to overlay-get and under XEmacs it stays undefined (and
> hence can't be used).  Why bother?

As for XEmacs, message-overlay-get and friends are provided by
message-xmas-redefine that is in the bottom of message.el.  Why
it doesn't cause a void-function error (or warning) when building
Gnus under XEmacs, in spite of it to be in the bottom, is that
message.el (not .elc) is loaded by the other module before
message.el is compiled.  But now I realized those aliases are
relic of the past and are probably no longer necessary.

> Why not just call overlay-get directly?  When would it be preferable
> to use message-overlay-get over overlay-get?

Yes, we should use overlay-get directly.  So are gnus-overlay-get,
etc.  I overlooked overlay.el[1] that is a part of the fsf-compat
XEmacs package being existent since 1997.  I'll work on it.

Thanks.

[1] In overlay.el, M-x all RET (defun RET
(defun overlayp (object)
(defun make-overlay (beg end &optional buffer front-advance rear-advance)
(defun move-overlay (overlay beg end &optional buffer)
(defun delete-overlay (overlay)
(defun overlay-start (overlay)
(defun overlay-end (overlay)
(defun overlay-buffer (overlay)
(defun overlay-properties (overlay)
(defun overlays-at (pos &optional buffer)
(defun overlays-in (beg end &optional buffer)
(defun next-overlay-change (pos &optional buffer)
(defun previous-overlay-change (pos &optional buffer)
(defun overlay-lists ()
(defun overlay-recenter (pos &optional buffer)
(defun overlay-get (overlay prop)
(defun overlay-put (overlay prop value)
(defun copy-overlay (o)
(defun remove-overlays (&optional beg end name val)