Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 18:53:12 +0000

Hello, Paul.

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 10:49:47AM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 09/04/2015 09:23 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> >> Please try adding (setq text-quoting-style 'grave) there.
> > It works.

> Thanks for checking.

> > I'd prefer to stick to the `text-quoting-style'

> Yes, and the intent of the current master is to do both: i.e., if you
> have (setq text-quoting-style 'grave) in your .emacs, then both (1)
> unescaped curved quotes are transliterated to ASCII characters in help
> buffers and strings, and ....

> .... (2) all curved quotes are displayed as shadowed ASCII characters.

These things are separate issues and all three of them must be
(independently) configurable.

> The shadowing is intended to assist you when you see curved quotes in
> other contexts, so that you can distinguish curved quotes from true
> ASCII characters.

The expectation is still that the occurance of such quotes will be rare.

> You should be able to see this by typing

> a ` b C-x 8 [ c C-x 8 ] d ' e

> which should insert “a`b‘c’d'e” into your buffer, and the curved quotes
> should be distinguishable from the grave accent and apostrophe because
> they're shadowed.

They appear identical to the ASCII quotes.  (Yes, I have the latest
version of Emacs).

> I assume this works for you now, with (setq text-quoting-style 'grave)
> in your .emacs; if not, please let me know.

I run emacs-25.0.50 with -Q, almost always.  But I'd set
`text-quoting-style' by a setq from M-:.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).