Re: ELPA policy

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:26:58 +0200

On 11/09/2015 06:20 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Create yet another package archive? With a separate publishing mechanism?

Why not?  There are several already, no?

So far, it seems we're short of manpower to manage even the current one. To manage the infrastructure, improve the scripts, etc.

It does, for most of the core.  That's what you do each time you say
"git pull", I believe.

I cannot "git pull" a new version of Dired into my stable installation of Emacs 24.5.

It was made before -- that's the "let's move Org and Gnus out"
variant, to which I said I could easily agree.  And then there was the
"move everything" one, to which I object for the reasons stated.  What
I meant was that there was no 3rd variant, AFAIR.

Well, I enumerated 4 packages instead of 2, didn't I? :)

I agree that "move everything" is a non-starter (or very hard, at least). So it seems more like a red herring, there's no real use arguing against it.