Re: ELPA policy

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 21:07:42 +0100

John Wiegley writes:
>> You'd do that with branches if it really becomes necessary. I don't really
>> see why submodules could not be used, except for the extra rope they give
>> you to hang yourself with. Any other solution is going to have the same
>> basic complexity beneath and the potential to not work on some platform or
>> other.
>
> A submodule doesn't allow us to have "Org + some-patch-not-yet-in-Org".

You'd branch on ELPA to something like emacs-25.0.50, patch away and
point the submodule there if you really can't wait for the patch to be
committed in Org upstream and mirrored back to ELPA.

>> I maintain that ELPA should benefit Emacs users first.
>
> I'm intrigued; could you clarify this a bit more? I saw what you wrote in
> response to Eli, but that didn't really help. Specifically, do you have a
> scenario in mind that is better for users and worse for developers?

It was a long day and I'm afraid I'd not be too coherent, so I'll punt
for now.  But in short, look at CPAN, CRAN and CTAN for NIH examples of
what ELPA might possibly become.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: