Re: ELPA policy

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 19:22:50 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> The suggestion was to move _all_ of them, except the few that are
> needed for bootstrap, out of the Emacs repository.

You keep arguing about things that realistically aren't even on the
table yet (I don't want to prevent that discussion, mind you).  I said
it would be possible to do this, given some not-yet-existing
infrastructure and the only reason I even mentioned it was because
that's the other end of the spectrum from moving everything that looks
halfway useful into core.  Even if that infrastructure develops (which I
have serious doubts about given how this discussion goes), nobody in
their right mind would move all packages big-bang style to ELPA.
There'd certainly be a transition period with some pilot packages, I'd
probably pick Org, CEDET and Tramp based on the list traffic.  You'd
then see how that works and make some fixes that will certainly be
necessary before you get to the point to move more packages over to
ELPA.  This being Emacs, for better or worse, I'd expect that at this
point we'd be looking at _years_ before the extreme end you seem to be
so worried about is even within reach.

Regards,
Achim.